Planning a family day out at Instow beach?
Considering a family day out at Instow beach? Loved by locals and holiday makers alike, Instow beach offers a beautiful sweep of golden sand and plenty of things to do within the small seafront town.
That said, you’ll find yourself spoilt for choice when it comes to a holiday in North Devon, so we’ve put together an itinerary to help you pack as much as possible into an Instow beach family day out.
Things to do with the children on an Instow beach holiday…
Here’s our recommended list of things to do when on holiday at Instow beach:
- Start with a substantial, top-quality breakfast at Johns of Instow to set yourself up for the day. Johns’ Famous West Country breakfast is the most popular of our menu choices, a chance to enjoy the best of local produce.
- Whilst there, create your own picnic hamper.
- Let the waves lap your toes as you follow the beach towards the sand-dunes. Once there, it’s time to play follow-my-leader as the kiddies lead with their own twisty path through the marram grass (the dunes are big enough to give a sense of adventure but small enough that they won’t get lost!).
- Little legs starting to tire? Head back to the main Instow beach for some simple sandcastle-making fun, whilst someone pops into Johns of Instow to collect your pre-filled picnic. Forgotten some beach essentials? Grab them from our beach hut as you walk past, along with a couple of Roastworks quality coffees.
The afternoon plan following a visit to Instow beach…
- After traditional family fun on Instow beach, it’s time to surprise the kids with some extra adventure. Pick up a crabbing bucket and line from our Johns Beach Hut, and then walk only a few metres onwards to catch the ferry boat to Appledore (Timetables). The quayside is renowned for fantastic crabbing, so you should catch a few that you can then place your bets on as they race their way back into the sea! The prize for whoever predicted the fastest crab? Let them choose their preferred seat and order first at Johns of Appledore café, the perfect place for a light dinner (check out our popular sharing deli-delight boards!).
- Catch the ferry back to Instow beach, and build your dream ice-cream for dessert. We’ve multiple flavours, toppings and sauces to choose from so layer it up! It’s a special day for making memories after all!
- Finally, it’s time to reveal why we only encouraged you to enjoy a ‘light’ dinner at Johns of Appledore… After a day of fresh air, giggles and exercise, there’s every reason to hope for a swift and happy children’s bedtime, leaving you the evening free to tuck into the Johns Deli cheeses, chutneys, charcuterie and fresh crab delights you picked up at our Appledore Deli, along with that beautiful bottle of award-winning wine from Johns Grocery store next door.
The perfect end to a perfect day.
Johns of Instow team.
Ps – Did you do it? Know any of the spots we’re referring to? Share your snaps and secrets by tagging #johnssnaps and we may feature you on our website!